Tuesday, September 4, 2007

discourse community rules

After reading both articles on discourse community, I have come to realize that they have/need the rules that they do in order to funtion properly. I think that discourse communities are also a lot like clubs. One rule that I think they would need is for each memeber to know what their community is about and what their purpose is. I think it is also important as mentioned in wiki that they have a set of goals to work towards in order to accomplish things. Another rule that I find important for each community to have is to look back on what they have accomplished and have each member provide feedback on what they could do different or liked.

1 comment:

danni boyd said...

I defiantly agree when you say that discourse communities are like clubs. Borg claims that discourse communities are unlike other communities in that people choose to be apart of them. I think that understanding the purpose and having set goals are essential for any organization or community. I especially think that feedback and looking back on what has been accomplished is a great point; this helps members of a community grow and learn from their shared experience.