Friday, September 14, 2007

Herring's Hypothesis: A Little Outdated?

Whereas I do agree with Herring on her observations of some of the differences in the ways that males and females communicate online, I do believe her ideas are just a little outdated. I remember growing up in a world where girls are supposed to wear dresses and play tea party politely, and boys were rowdy lil snots that were supposed to come home with skinned knees & black eyes. However, I feel that this emphasis on external gender scripts is not quite as predominant as it was in the past. Yes, there is still some evidence of aggressiveness from males and supportiveness from females, but most of that is due to the biological hardwiring.

Herring makes some good points, but they are just a little too overgeneralized for my taste. They might have been very compelling arguments 13 yrs. ago, but not for today's society.
Therefore, I would have to agree with my colleagues' opinions.

-Carly

No comments: