Monday, October 1, 2007

Assertiveness vs. Deference

I believe that my field, shows both assertiveness and deference. I am currently majoring in AYA Integrated Language Arts. When being a teacher you need to show assertiveness by being the one that occupys a position of leadership. When teaching content knowledge its also important to highlight the main issues and not drag on about stuff that is not useful to students. Teaching can also show deference. Teachers show deference when they are teaching knowledge because they are informing students of what they should know. Therefore I think that my career field demonstrates both assertiveness and deference which is useful to have.

3 comments:

mchalup said...

Yes i think that you need both. When it comes to teaching art you need to show your student you need to educate then on how to use what they have to their advanagte while giving then freedom as well.

ErinF said...

I also agree that your field uses both forms of communication. It is important to not only be assertive in the way that you are teaching, but to also be aware of how the students view different things. This will allow you to be able to better teach the material when you know where the students' understanding is.

Cassie said...

I put that my field of teaching dance only uses assertiveness, but after reading your post, I would agree that teaching deals with both aspects.