Thursday, August 23, 2007

Assignment One mchaup

In the Patricia Smith Article her mother wanted her to give up her accent. Some people think just because you talk a certain way (slang for example) that you are uneducated. I think that this is wrong and a stereotype. I have so many African American friends that talk with slang and they are strait A students who are going to school for things like chemistry, medicine, and a lot of other hard majors. I think that Patrica thinks changing the way she talks would be changing part of her personality as well, and i agree!

2 comments:

hshoenl said...

I agree with you that just because someone speaks a differnt way than others around them does not mean that they are uneducated.

Kfrye said...

That is a good point that it is a sterotype. I agree and it is something that we should not focus so closely on. One person with a slang talk can be just as smart as the next person who speaks "perfect" english.