Thursday, August 23, 2007

response 2 Melix

When i read this i can personally relate to her situation. I understand that there are times for "black talk" or as i like to put it " Ghetto slang" and then those times where i am forced to speak what is considered proper English. The way that i feel about her assilimation is that it is easy for individuals to assimilate depending upon the sitiuation. For instance, when she worked for the insurance company all she did was copy what her co-worker wrote in response to her customers, also while she was a youth she knew she had to speak to the officer using proper English as opposed to while at home she could use "black talk". Another point that I will use to argue my point that I feel that she thought it was easy to assimilate is this, when she did move up North near her aunt and uncle she saw how they easily were able to switch from black English to standard English or they would mix it up depending upon the situation and eventually Melix learned to mix and match after awhile.

Her style is more of a personal rhetoric in which she reports events in her life from growing up, to high school, and to college with various aspects of her life involved in between. She also intends to instruct her readers to say hey this i what many black people have learned to do and some do it better then others. Again i know this well because there are times where for instance if am talking to my friends, i can talk ghetto, but when i am calling a business i have to change my voice per say and speak in manner that's more accepted in everyday living ie inquiring about an apartment. Those are some of the things i got out this reading.

1 comment:

mchalup said...

I agree with you. I have a friend that when we are together will talk a totally different way then when she is with some of her toher friends. She is african american and I white. I personally don't mind her talking with slang or without it. I think everyone has a different approach to different situations and people