Saturday, August 25, 2007

Homework #2: Amy Tan and Marjorie Agosin

English represents for me through out my life is a traditional implied law. In my life correct grammar, has become a rule that’s so deterministic and vital to my life, that if it’s broken serious consequences could arise. I feel just like Marjorie Agosin feels about Spanish in Always living in Spanish. “To write in Spanish is for me a gesture of survival.” (Agosin, 203). In today’s atmosphere, I feel that in English is a gesture of survival because what it requires in such areas like the business world and the legal environment (such as contracts and reading other legal cases.).

Throughout my life I have been punished, for saying and believing the wrong things in society. My actions that I have taken have for my beliefs of English have been something minor, like an incorrect exam question, or something major, like saying or doing things that make your friends loose you forever. Below is an element of Amy Tan’s Mother Tongue.

“Like others, I have described it to people a “broken” or “fractured” English. But I wince when I say that. It has always bothered me that I can think of no way to describe it other than “broken”, as if it were damaged and needed to be fixed, as if it lacked a certain wholeness and soundness. I’ve heard other terms used. “limited English”, for example. But they seem just as bad, as if everything is limited, including people’s perception of the limited English speaker.” (Tan, 244-245)

Work Cited
Agosin, Majorie. “Always Living in Spanish” Multingual USA. 25 Aug. 2007. 203.
www.bgsu.edu.
Tan, Amy. “Mother Tongue” Multingual USA. 25 Aug. 2007. 203. www.bgsu.edu.

2 comments:

Chris Stewart AS said...

Sorry, I ment to put these numbers down 244-245 this is the real reference number. I thought I saved it but my computer has been messing up lately.


Agosin, Majorie. “Always Living in Spanish” Multingual USA. 25 Aug. 2007. 244-245

Sarah Mabe said...

I understand what you mean about English being vital to you. I feel that today's society is so progressive that if you can't communicate with those around you, then you're not going to be able to keep your head above water.