Sunday, August 26, 2007

Response to Agosin, Gillan, and Tan

My use of standard English is something that I often take for granted. I never really stopped to think about how hard it would be acclimate to a culture in which the native language is held in such high regards. America is such a progressive, fast-paced, technologically based society in which communication is very important. In order to function successfully in our country you have to be able to understand others, and for some its not as easy. I feel that my use of the English language represents myself and my ideas. I would feel extremely frustrated and lonely if I could not communicate my wants and needs with those around me.

I feel that the authors all successfully display their frustrations in their pieces. By using different techniques and styles such as free-verse poems, narratives, and a piece that combined both, I was able to get a better understanding for how the language gap between the authors (or in Tan's case her mother) really effective their lives emotional. The fact that an adaptation had to be made by these people in order to appease the demands of an English speaking society, was hard to grasp, almost as if their identities were a hindrance. The authors felt a sense of shame because they were extraordinanry in prodominantly English speaking culture.

3 comments:

mchalup said...

I agree that people take language for granted. No one thinks about what the world would be without it becasue we are all so used to using it all the time. Also i think the authors did a good job displaying the idea of what it would be like to speak a different language and not have people understand you.

Chris Stewart AS said...

I also think that the authors did a good job portraying on how English seems to be authoritive language in america compared to all of the other foreign languages. Both of your posts also bring up great points about this subject in which you did a great job on.

ErinF said...

I have never though about the way that I take the English language for granted. The simple ability to put thoughts into words is something that I unconsciously do on a daily basis. In this country, if one is unable to do this successfully they are thought of as unintelligent. The struggle that Tan's mother had proves this point.