Sunday, August 26, 2007

Response #3

For me, English represents the way in which I communicate with others. I often find myself thinking about the words I want to say, before I speak. I take pride in the way that I use the English language. I strive to effectively communicate in a way that properly represents who I am.

Since English is my native language, the task of forming sentences to convey my thoughts often goes unnoticed. I think about what I want to say and speak the words at virtually the same time. Although the process of dictating my thoughts is not one that I can remember ever struggling with, this is not the case for Amy Tan's mother. In her piece "Mother Tongue," Tan tells the story of her mother's struggle to translate thoughts into English sentences. Since English was not her native language, Tan's mother often thought things in her mind that she could not properly communicate with others. This frustration led Tan to write a book that would be easily understood by people struggling with the same issue as her mother. While many people strive to use big words and impressive sentences, Tan's goal was to write in such a way that people would understand.

After reading Tan's article I have a greater appreciation for the way in which I am able to use the English language. Having proper control over the way in which one uses a language is a skill that everyone should continually work toward.

1 comment:

cbfour12 said...

i think many of us at times have to form the sentences in our minds first before we express ourselves. good point