Sunday, August 26, 2007

#3

In my life, to be able to speak English is very important because it is my way of communicating with those around me. Being able to speak English or any other language for that matter is a way to express how one feels, whether it be writing or speaking. Currently I am majoring to become an English teacher and by taking all the English classes that I am required to take, I am working at mastering the English language even more than what I already have. To me, to be able to speak your own language does not mean that you have it mastered, you have to be able to use that language to basically get along well in the world. In Tan's article when she discusses the way in which her mother struggles with language it reminds me of my brother. My brother has a talking disability and he struggles alot with the English language. When Tan has to call in to the hospital to check on a CAT scan for her mother ( due to her mother's struggle with English) it reminds me of when I have to translate what my brother is trying to communicate to others. Sometimes I find it rather annoying that people don't understand him or look at him funny because of the fact that he struggles with the English language. Since I grew up with him, I understand almost everything he trys to communicate but yet when there are those moments where I don't understand what he trys to communicate, he finds an alternative route such as finding a certain object or showing me online what he wants to say.
Knowing, understanding, and being able to speak English is very important to me. It's the way I communicate in every day life.

1 comment:

danni boyd said...

I think that the mistake people make when it comes to language is the notion that people who cannot communicate well in English don't have important thoughts and feelings. Just because someone has a handicap or is not proficient in Standard English doesn’t mean their ideas don’t need to be heard, it is simply a matter of finding a different medium that both parties can use.