Tuesday, September 11, 2007

response for wednesday

http://www.bluemountain.com/display.pd?prodnum=3054968&path=82916&bfrom=2

I found a card that incorporates both boy and girl characteristics. Even though is card is directed towards a boy, this card incorporates a pink background. The other characteristics included in this card is the phrase "bundles of boy" which is a play on words, but appeases the argument by Willer, that certain phrases on birth announcement cards are gender specific. While browsing the site I noticed that a lot of the cards designed for girls were more serious, and had more frills then the ones designed for boys. I feel that the boy cards were designed to look more simple, and to the point, whereas girl cards were more creative and detail oriented.

I feel that because of the fact that my card was so simple it was almost hard to apply Willer's criteria to decide whether or not it was gender specific. Then, I realized that the girl, in contrast, had a lot more artwork and words used causing my original boy card to appear more masculine. Even the "nonverbal" communication was apparent that my card was specifically for a boy (despite the pink background).

No comments: