Thursday, September 6, 2007

Response to Limerick

I agree with Limerick that professors try to use language that is uncomprehendible for students. Because of this, students are learning at a slower rate, or are not learning at all.

I feel that this might be more a thing of the past, however. Nowadays I think that profs go out of the way to be easily reachable and are flexible for discussing questions and concerns via e-mail or office meetings. Academic language is oftentimes supposed to sound wordy because it makes it seem more legitimate. I believe that the college you choose to go to also will have an impact on how professors write and choose books. In the midwest, for example at Bowling Green, I would expect the readings to differ from a student at Harvard. That prestigious school has to live up to a standard, and the profs have to be the most knowledgeable and live up to that specific standard. So yes, I agree there is a problem, but I understand why it is that way.

No comments: