Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Assignment #1

Growing up I hated reading. Homework was a pain and all I wanted to do was play outside and watch T.V. This mentality was changed when a friend of our family gave me a book called The Hobbit. From there literature gave me a great escape from the doldrums of common life. By middle school I was given a structure to my writing and lots of help from wonderful English teachers like Mr. Rose had.
I high school my family moved to a new city during the middle of my Freshman year and it was during that time of melancholy that I discover poetry as an outlet to my feelings. This ability to communicate with written words what I could not say to anyone let me express what was bottled up inside and let me connect with an audience real or imaginary. I didn't mind if no one read my work. I was just glad it was on the written page and could be read someday. I more think that my poetry was a way for me to communicate with myself.

1 comment:

keving1981 said...

I did not like to read either! I also started to enjoy reading with a little novleby Tom Sawyer.