Monday, August 27, 2007

English For Me.

For me english is about unique style, that when is done correctly creates different levels of power that convey messages to others. English for me is an ongoing relationship, something I learn from everyday. I speak English, I write in English, I even think in English. Because I am in constant use of this language, I am always learning its different moods, ways to benefit from using it, to provoke certain emotions, and persuade others. Our relationship is an intersting one, sometimes when I am unable to discover the right word to use, I am frustrated with English. Other times, when I use English to market myself, abilities and accomplishments, or to express my love for another, I have a great appreciation for English.

What English is for me, however, is different from what it is to someone who may not be in constant companionship with it. Amy Tan for example, has a relationship with English that is different for my experience with it. Amy used English to assist her mother in recieving benefits that were denied to her. For Amy, it was as tool that she was fortunate to have, a mastery of the English language, being a gift to her mother. To Amy's mother, however, English was a relationship that was not always satisfying, at times it was disheartening.

1 comment:

Erised said...

Even though English is my native language, I too sometimes find it difficult to find the right words to express my thoughts. It must have been exponetly more difficult for Amy Tan's mother having to overcome her language barrier and still speak what we consider "broken" as if it needs fixed. I also found her story to be disheartening.