Monday, August 27, 2007

Response # 3

English is the medium that I use to communicate with and interpret the world around me. English as my language has different, but important functions in my life; the symbols and meaning behind words in English allow me give meaning to my beliefs and emotions as well as identify and define the things around me. English also enables me to comprehend and learn from the ideas and messages that other people send to me.

Marjorie Agosin, in her article, “Always Living in Spanish,” shares that she writes in Spanish and it gives her, “the sense of being and feeling” (203). She is able to harmonize her senses, emotions, and beliefs when she writes in the Spanish word than in English. For Agosin, Spanish is the language that she knew first; in childhood, a time when she was creating meaning for the world around her, Spanish was her medium of symbolization.

Language is a medium of communication and expression; as human being we all share similar thought and belief patterns as well as a need to share with others. People tend to favor their language of origin because it is the most familiar and accurate recall for communication. The sharing of ideas is the reason for lanuage, which form of language should not take away from the ultimate purpose. Agosin notes the importance of translation as she discusses her preference for writing in Spanish. Spanish is the medium that she can be her most genuine and creative. She understands the “great human community of language,” as she explains can that more people can be affected by her message because of translation to English.

No comments: