Monday, August 27, 2007

English represents my lifestyle and my family. I was born in America and have spoken English all my life. In America, majority of people here speak English except the select few states off to the west who may speak Spanish. In reflection, Maria Mazziotti Gillan wrote a simple poem with bold meaning. She wants to tell her classmates and teacher that she is indeed an American as they are, but can't bring herself to do it because they will just tell her she is wrong. Amy Tan's writing seemed filled with passion. She was a struggling writer who was told numerous times that she needed to give up writing and focus on something that her "kind" was successful at. She ignored them and realized that she wasn't writing correctly for everyone to understand. She began writing in a way that her mother could understand and found easy. That was when she became successful as she wished. Marjorie Agosin only wanted to write in Spanish. She believed that her heritage was striped from her and the only thing left was her language. She continued to only write in Spanish, later publishing a poem that was full of meaning. Agosin is familiar to me because I too love my language enough that I too would do the same as her. My language is who I am and I would never want to change that. I was enrolled in Spanish classes for three years. The language didn't come easy. I found English to be so simple compared to it, but it was a real experience because now I understand.

No comments: