Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Assigment #1 Response

Some of the first people that shaped my reading and writing skills were my parents. I remember listening to bedtime stories as a little kid every night before I went to bed. I believe that this simple task made me familiar with many words, terms, and sentences that I otherwise would not have been introduced to. Once I entered high school, Mr. Warner, my senior English teacher, really expanded upon the skills that I had been developing throughout my school career. I learned how to critically analyze text and properly compile my thoughts into an argumentative essay. It was my senior year of high school that prepared me for the English classes I have taken thus far in college. While I did learn a few new skills in English 111 and English 112, I feel that most of my writing skills can be credited to my senior English teacher.
Similar to the article written by Rose, my senior English teacher was very willing to help all students with any difficulties. While I often understood the readings we were assigned, I did not always grasp the overall messages of the text. Mr. Warner was able to explain the text and words in a way that I understood. This allowed me to look for deeper meanings within all the readings that I did, not just in English class.

1 comment:

Kfrye said...

My experience is kind of like yours, i agree with you and that my parents have influenced my reading. I think that our generation should continue to introudce how important it is to younger kids. I also learned a similar thing from an english teacher in high school about looking deeper into all readings and really learn about the article or novel.