Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Response to Rose and Raymond

After reading the selections from Raymond and Rose, I got to thinking about all the people who have positively effected my skills as a writer. Although I feel that I obtained knowledge and advice from various sources, there are two people that seem to stand out amongst the crowd.

When I was little, my grandmother was the one who really got me into reading. By the time I was in kindergarten, I was reading at a second grade level. Weekly, my mother would take me to the library with a tote bag and tell me to "fill er' up." I would then take my bag full of books over to my grandmother and just sit on her lap while she read to me for hours. I feel that because of her involvement in my reading, it has really helped me to maintain an interest literature. Because I was such an avid reader, my vocabulary expanded and I never really had problems writing papers in school.

The second person to influence my writing was my creative writing teacher in high school. He was a very intelligent man who would grade people not on the accuracy of grammar and the use of proper English, but on the students ability to articulate their thoughts and feelings within their work. I feel that he really helped me to express myself in a more coherent manner, rather then to make sure all of my thoughts and opinions were grammatically correct.

2 comments:

ErinF said...

I completely agree with you. I think that a lot of my success with reading and writing is because I was read to so much as a child. It is crazy how much "bedtime stories" can really enhance a child's abilities.

danni boyd said...

My mom also instilled to value of reading to me as a child. I vividly remember going to the library and picking out piles of books for her to read to me. I think that when children are shown that reading can be fun and useful, such enthusiasm will carry over into adulthood.