Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Assignment 1

Through elementary school a child is taught the basics of reading and writing. If learned properly, the learned skills are carried on to the next levels. I was a child who had trouble with reading. I was a good reader, but when the time came to answer the worksheet that followed the readings I was lacking comprehension skills. My teachers realized this quickly. They knew I was reading, but also knew I was answering the questions wrong on the comprehension worksheets. My parents were notified and began working with me at home. My parents were a huge help. They would read with me to make sure that I was actually focusing on my reading instead of just following the words. My teachers also helped me to improve. I would be given readings with questions listed half way through instead of at the end. I began to pay more attention to what I was reading and improved quickly.

Writing seemed to come easy to me. I had a very large imagination and could write quite well. As I went through junior high I had a teacher, Mr. Snyder, who taught the basics of English. I enjoyed that class very much so and Mr. Snyder was my inspiration to become an English teacher at that same grade level. Continuing through high school I enrolled in college English courses. I believe that these few courses I was enrolled in helped immensely. I was taught to write in such an order that an outline was habit to me while to other students, it was a hassle to find an opening statement.

I can relate to David Raymond and Mike Rose in such a manner that we all had some set backs, but were able to defeat the problem, some easier than others, and quickly move on. I am looking forward to becoming an educator so that I can help students such as myself, Raymond, and Rose, to pursue their own dreams and control the minor setbacks they have.

3 comments:

Mr. Wiebe said...

I feel that this entry is well written and interestingly conveyed. It is personal and tells your experiences through the rhetoric that is your own. I feel it's very effective. Good job.

Chris Stewart AS said...

Your Assignment #1, post is very true, and I agree with you 100% of the way. Even though some professor and honor students may think that reading and writing is easy at times. For some of us like you, me, Mr. Raymond, and Mr. Rose. For some of us it can be a very challenging adventure where we can meet new people that help us discover the way to understand Reading and Writing education.

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful how you were so influenced by your teacher! I hope that in your future career as a teacher you find gratification in knowing that you are educating our youth!