Friday, August 31, 2007

Self Evaluation

As of now, I think that my personal narrative is pretty good. At first I thought it would be difficult to write, but when I actually sat down at the computer it was not hard at all. I think that there are some grammatical corrections that need to be made in order for my paper to be "hand-in quality."
There are a few questions that I have regarding the way the paper will be graded. On the evaluation criteria, one point focused on organization. This included a clear thesis and main points to support that idea. When I think of this format, I relate it to an argumentative essay. I wrote my paper in the from of a narrative. While it does have a main idea, there are not three main points and a clearly stated thesis statement in the beginning. Do you want the paper written more as an essay or a narrative? My paper can be changed to fit this format, but I did not do it that way because that is not how the readings that we did in class were set-up.

1 comment:

ejfleitz said...

Erin,
Even narratives, like any story, have a beginning, middle and end. Any story needs to be introduced to the reader, have something happen (middle), and have it resolved and wrapped up (end). Even though we may think of these things as different, both academic arguments and narratives do have similar basic structures. A narrative, also, has something like a "thesis" in that it (if the story is effective) does make a single main point. So yes, I will be looking to see if your narrative has a focus to it ("thesis"), a beginning, middle, and end.

does this help?
--Elizabeth